Welcome to our guide on how to clean sex toys. There is nothing wrong with introducing sex toys in a bedroom for sprucing up your boring sexual life. But while using them, do not forget to follow healthy and safe sex practices, which include cleaning these toys before and after every use. Do you wonder why it is essential to clean these toys? So, let’s understand this before exploring the ways to clean them.
Why is Sex Toy Cleaning Important?
The reason is to avoid transmission of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) or bacterial infections. Studies suggest that nearly all STI’s including Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV), Gonorrhea, and Chlamydia, can be transmitted through sex toys. The chances of infection caused due to certain STIs subside as soon as the fluid dries, but certain bacteria can survive for a week or even months outside our body. So, when couples interchangeably use one sex toy without cleaning them, they are putting them at a higher risk of getting infected.
Another reason is to prevent unwanted pregnancy, especially if couples are using all-gender sex toys.
Now, let’s explore the best ways to clean sex toys. The first and foremost step in cleaning is to understand their manufacturing material. Most of the toys feature either porous or non-porous materials. The absorbent materials include:
- Elastomer or Rubber varieties like thermoplastic rubber (TPR), thermoplastic elastomer (TRE), and Jelly rubber. All the materials are skin-safe.
- Materials like Cyberskin and Sensafirm, which look like skin
The sex toys made from porous materials have tiny pores or holes which can harbor fungi and bacteria.
Cleaning Tips for Porous Materials
- Rubber Materials: Clean sex toys made with rubber material from an antibacterial soap and water. Because of porous nature, it is hard to clean. Therefore, it is wise to use condoms with these sex toys, especially if you share it with your partner.
- Cyberskin: It is one of the most common materials used for dildos. Washing these toys with warm water will do the trick.
- Leather: Sex toys made from leather material look classy but require deep cleaning. So, wipe leather toys with a leather cleaner or soapy cloth. Do not soak leather in water.
- Nylon: These kinds of sex toys are machine washable with a mild antibacterial soap. Users can even wash them manually.
The common non-porous materials used for manufacturing sex toys are:
- Soda-lime glass
- Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic
- Borosilicate glass
- Metals like gold and stainless steel
The non-porous materials have no holes; therefore, the chances of sticking and survival of microorganisms are less. Now, let’s uncover the ways to clean these different materials.
Cleaning Tips for Non-Porous Materials
- Silicone: You have three options to clean silicone sex toys. Please keep it in boiling water for 5-10 minutes, put it in a dishwasher, or wash it with warm water and antibacterial soap. The first two options are for non-motorized sex toys, whereas clean silicon motorized toys with antibacterial soap.
- Glass: Use mild antibacterial soap and water for cleaning toys made from glass. After this, wipe it with a damp cloth. Do not expose the glass to extreme hot or cold water.
- Stainless Steel: If the sex toy is battery-operated, remove the batteries and clean it with warm soapy water. Many sure not to submerge the electrical component while cleaning it. If the sex toy needs to operate manually, you can either place it in boiling water or soak it in a bleach-water solution for 10 minutes. You can even leave it in a dishwasher without applying soap for 10 minutes. The hot steam of a dishwasher will sterilize and clean it.
- Hard Plastic: Clean it with an antibacterial and non-fragrance soap and water.
Important Tip: Do not forget to air dry every kind of sex toy after washing or cleaning them.
Clean Sex Toy before Every Use as Well
Though you might have washed the toy after use, there is no harm in cleaning it again before every use. There are chances that it might come into contact with dust, dirt, and other materials that are hard to notice by naked eyes. So, the ideal way is to clean these sex toys and keep them inside a silk bag to limit its exposure to bacteria-laden items. Many sex toys come with a backpack, case, or box. However, if you have not any, you can purchase these storage bags online. Ensure to buy those bags, which have a zipper and featuring washable material. Once you have placed the sex toys in these bags, you are free to place them anywhere in your bedroom.
People also searched for
- Cheap Sex Toys
- Anal Sex Toys
- Electric Sex Toys
- Nipple Sex Toys
- Silicone Sex Toys
- G-Spot Stimulator Sex Toys
- Exotic Sex Toys
- Sex Toys for Beginners
- How to Store Sex Toys
- How to Use Vibrators
- How to Clean Sex Toys
- How to Use Sex Toys
The Bottom Line
Cleaning of sex toys is a crucial step to enjoy a healthy sexual life. Understand the material of the sex toy before cleaning them. Mostly, these toys are easy to clean with antibacterial soap and water or boiling them. Remove the batteries of vibrators and other motorized toys. Store them safely in a bag or pouch to limit their exposure to bacteria and fungi. Do we hope now you know how to clean sex toys?