Choosing the right condom size is a tricky process, but you can enjoy a happy and safe sex life if you do so. Just like clothes, condoms come in different types.
Choosing the right condom size
It is of utmost importance to choose the right condom size so that it can offer adequate protection against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), act as an effective birth control measure, and above all, make you feel comfortable. Wearing a too small or too big condom can break or slip off from the penis. It will also affect the ability to orgasms.
There are three condom sizes available in the market: a snug fit, standard fit, and large fit. To know which size will suit you the best, measure your penis’ length and girth. Measure your penis using a measuring tape or a ruler and do it when the penis is erect. Measuring it in a flaccid state will not give the right measurements, and you will always end up buying the wrong condom.
Measuring length of the penis: For measuring the length, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Place the measuring tape or a rule at the base of the erect penis.
- Hold one side of a tape or a ruler on the pubic bone as far as possible.
- Measure the erect penis from its base to the tip’s end.
Measuring width or girth: For measuring the girth of the penis, follow these steps:
- Use a flexible measuring tape or a piece of string.
- Gently wrap the tape or the string around the thickest part of the penis’ shaft.
- If you are using a measuring tape, mark the measurement.
- If you are using a string, mark where the line meets and measure it with a ruler.
The right condom size is easy to calculate when you have accurate measurements of your penis width and length. The penis width is crucial as it is where the condom fits and even stays on. On the other hand, the size of the erect penis helps determine the right length of a condom. The general guidelines followed while manufacturing condoms are:
- The sung fitted condoms have a width under 1.75 inches and a length of 7 to 7.8 inches
- The standard condoms come with a width of 1.75 to 2 inches and a length between 7.25 to 7.8 inches
- The large condoms have over 2 inches of width and length between 7.25 to 8.1 inches
Do not get surprised if you observe that snug fitted condom of one brand is as good as the standard-fit of other brands. It is because all manufacturers use different measurements to describe the sizes of the condom. So, the thumb rule is to choose such a size that is neither too long nor too short.
Once we have shortlisted the right size, the next vital factor to look for is the material. Most condoms are available in the market feature latex material. It is a very flexible and skin-friendly material and even provides ideal protection against bacteria, viruses, and sperm. People who use latex condoms should purchase a silicone or water-based lubricants for experiencing pleasurable sex. Many experience allergies to latex material. So, they can go for condoms made with other materials such as:
- Polyurethane: It is a type of plastic thinner than latex and is considered a good heat conductor. The condoms are featuring Polyurethane material act as practical barriers against STIs.
- Polyisoprene: It looks similar to latex but does not contain the chemical that causes allergies with latex condoms. This material is soft but thicker than polyurethane. These condoms are flexible than Polyurethane material and even stretch more.
- Lambskin: Lambskin condoms are the oldest condom materials available in the marketplace. This material is durable, thin, and is even fully biodegradable. It is even a good conductor of heat. But the only drawback with lambskin condoms is they do not protect against STIs.
Choosing the right type of condoms
You will be amazed to see the different varieties of male condoms available in the online marketplace. Some condoms are standard, whereas some come with thin and ultra-thin labels. People who miss the sensations after wearing standard condoms should try ultra-thin ones. Many condoms come with ribbed and dotted surfaces for adding extra pleasure during the sexual act.
To make sex more exciting for both partners, condoms come in different flavors. These flavors include orange, strawberry, and chocolate to vanilla, which you can choose from your preferences. You can even buy these condoms based on their color. It is easy to understand that the standard condoms are the cheapest, and the more you will go for a variety, the more you need to shell out from your pocket.
Another essential aspect to consider is that not all condoms are ideal for vaginal, anal, or oral sex. For instance, flavored condoms are the best choice for oral sex, but they provide the least protection against STIs, including HIV. On the other hand, standard and thin condoms are useful contraceptive devices, but they do not heighten sexual play.
To get adequate protection against STI’s and pregnancy, it is necessary to wear condoms in the right manner. For properly putting the male condom, follow these steps:
- Wait for the penis to get completely erect.
- Carefully tear the condom package.
- Unroll the condom for about ½ inch.
- Place it on your penis and pinch its tip to remove air as this reduces its chances of breakage. While putting it on, do not forget to leave some space for semen.
- Roll the condom till the pubic bone.
- Smooth out any air bubbles.
- Once you ejaculate, carefully unroll it and discard it in a dustbin.
What this means for you
Choosing the right condom is a tricky process. Several factors, like size, material, type, etc., need to be considered carefully before buying. Firstly, measure the correct length and girth dimensions of your penis. Once you have these measurements, you can choose from snug, standard to large fit. Ensure that condom fit is such that you do not feel uncomfortable, and it does not make your penis immobile. After that, you can select the material from latex, polyurethane, to lambskin. Choose the texture, flavor, and color as per your personal preferences.